Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Week 2...

Week 2 of Chemo…

This is a good week as I do not have treatment this week, but I do have lab work. I have to go to the oncologist for blood work to make sure my blood counts are up. I am sure they are up as I have only been in treatment for one week…So, this afternoon I will go in for a blood draw and I think that is about it. Overall I am feeling pretty damn good right now! I get tired by about 4-5pm in the afternoon and I find my self sleeping a bit more. I think the first few days were rough because of the steroids they put in my body and my body didn’t know if it was tired or if it wanted to rock out! Now, I feel pretty much normal except for the fact that all of my fingertips have this numb tingly feeling all the time now. I don’t know if it is the medication I am taking or if it is the chemo. We are thinking it is the Allopurinal I am taking for my liver.

Last Friday I had to meet with the Radiologist to talk about the chances of having to do radiation after my 6 months of chemo was completed. Well…it looks like I will have to do 4 weeks of radiation after I am done with my chemo treatment. I wasn’t surprised by this and what the doctors have determined is that the large mass on the right side of my neck is a cluster of lumps and is classified as “bulky” which means that most likely the chemo will break down the lumps but there will most likely be some residual of the lumps. The only way to completely get rid of it is to zap me! Honestly, the radiation sounds much more appealing compared to chemo, so I have no problems having to do 4 weeks of radiation after chemo. It would be 5 days a week for about 20 minutes a day. The side effects are not too bad and most of them are temporary, but I could have some permanent issues with my thyroid. But there is a very simple fix with medication for that, so I am not worried about that at all. When you weigh out the pros and cons and keeping the goal in mind to be cancer free at the end of the treatment it is a no brainer to move forward with the radiation treatment at the end. If everything goes according to plan I should be all done by mid January and hopefully skiing in Whistler sometime in February. Oh yeah, it will be nice to enjoy a cocktail then too!

This past weekend was great, Rachel’s parents flew in from Louisiana and spent memorial weekend with us. We had a great time just hanging out and doing a little work around the house. Actually Rachel put her dad to work! Mr. Randal ended up installing a TV in the guest room and also added a ceiling fan to the master bedroom. I am pretty excited for the fan because the upstairs of the home can get pretty warm in the summer. Rachel and her mom (Miss Verelda) enjoyed the outlet mall in Marysville and we all had a great brunch at Salty’s on Sunday. I put the chuck wagon on and threw down some good eats; I would love to eat that food every Sunday! Monday Miss Verelda cooked up some amazing food, Chicken something (I wish I knew how to spell it, but I think you would pronounce it like Free Cason, but I am probably way off) it is like a chicken gumbo, but a little thicker with potatoes and she also adds egg to it. Of course it is served over white rice and it tastes so good! We had a great time just hanging out talking about the wedding and just relaxing. I am very excited to be a part of their family and I feel extremely lucky that my family and Rachel’s family all get along so well.

Thank you all again for messaging, texting, calling and stopping by. I am amazed of how many people are keeping me in their thoughts and I will always be grateful of your support. I will keep you all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment